For more information about Jordan Plumbing and Maintenance and the plumbing services we provide in the Durham area, contact us today at (919) 220-6996. We are happy to answer your questions and provide more details.
Or Contact Us!
Water Heaters in Durham
Tried and Trusted Water Heater Installation Service for Durham
Let’s be honest. Hot water is one of the few things that any home or business can’t do without. The simple fact of the matter is that hot water is a key part of your home and working life. Picture this scenario for a second: you wake up in the morning and find that there is no hot water available for shower. OK, so you endure a cold one. Then you arrive at work and realize that there is no hot water for coffee—a bit of a drag, right? If you want to make sure that this type of day doesn’t become a reality, then you need to ensure that your water tank is working to its optimal level.
At Jordan Plumbing and Maintenance we pride ourselves on providing a high-quality installation, replacement and maintenance service for your water heater that will cater to your home or business’s needs right away. It is professional dedication to our job which separates us from other water heater repair and installation teams in Durham and is the reason why we should be the first number you call when your water heater starts to act up.
Signs Your Water Heater May Be in Trouble
The simple fact of the matter is that, like most appliances in your home, your water heater will usually provide you with a range of telltale signs to indicate that it is not operating to its optimal level. This is particularly true if it is approaching or has passed its tenth birthday. If this is the case then it is possible that you have experienced some of the following indicators:
- Rusty colored hot water
- Water lodging around the base of your water heater
- Shower switching between cold and hot water inexplicably
Solar Powered Options
As we have discussed previously, solar water heaters can provide your Durham home with a reliable source of warm and heated water. One of the great things about solar-powered heaters is that they are practical in any type of climate. This is particularly relevant in Durham with our seasonal weather fluctuations. The great dividing line in solar water heaters is between heaters that distribute water with the use of a pump and passive models that rely on the force of gravity as opposed to manmade mechanics for distribution purposes.
In terms of active solar water heating systems, the following two types are most popular: direct circulation systems and indirect circulation systems.
- • Direct Circulation Systems: In a system like this, a pump will circulate water through solar collectors and into a storage tank that can be then used as a warm water supply for days to come. Although not totally applicable to Durham, this feature is useful during winter months when the temperature has reduced.
- • Indirect Circulation Systems: This type of water heating system is different from the direct model in so far as it is predicated on the fact that a pump circulates an anti-freeze solution through solar collectors and a heat exchanger, the latter of which heats the water. This type of system is very popular in northern states where winters are generally cooler, but has locally grown in popularity in recent years given changing weather dynamics.
When it comes to passive solar water heating systems, there are also two basic options to choose from. They are as follows:
- • Integral Collector Storage Systems: Solar collectors in the storage tank heat the stored water, which then flows directly into your home’s plumbing thanks to the wonders of gravity.
- • Thermosyphon Systems: In these types of systems, solar collectors heat from below which in turn, causes the heated water to rise. Once this has occurred, it can travel naturally into your home.
The Importance of Maintenance
Based on the assumption that your solar system water heater receives regular maintenance every three to five years, it is not unrealistic to assume that they can last up to 20 years. At Jordan Plumbing and Maintenance, we like to keep all of our residential customers as informed as possible about the service we provide. One of the most important pieces of advice we give to all customers who users of our service is the importance of inspection and upkeep tasks that homeowners can do themselves. Five of the most important tips in this respect include:
- Regularly clean dusty or soiled collectors.
- Keep a close eye on the connections between a storage tank and its piping.
- Look out for damaged insulation covering pipes, ducts and wiring.
- Make sure to assess the tightness of all nuts and bolts that are responsible for securing the collectors in place.
- Finally, in an active system, it is vital to verify that the pumps are operating properly.
Obviously, there is a wide range of other considerations that any responsible homeowner should think about closely, but these are some of the most important for the upkeep of your solar-powered water heaters.
Call Jordan Plumbing and Maintenance Today
Need a tried and trusted plumbing service to fix your water heater today? Then what are you waiting for! If your water heater is acting up or if you are just worried that something isn’t right, call our Durham number today and let our skilled team of plumbers help identify the problem with your water heater and fix it in a quick and efficient fashion. We promise, you won’t regret it.